THE ANHINGA-ROBERT DANA PRIZE FOR POETRY
The Anhinga-Robert Dana Prize for Poetry began in 1983. The competition is open to all poets for a manuscript of original poetry in English. The winner receives $2000 and a reading tour of selected Florida colleges and universities.
- February 15 to May 30 (postmark) each year
- Submit via our Submittable page
- Reading fee for each manuscript is $28
- Manuscripts must be 48-80 pages, excluding front matter. They may be single- or double-spaced.
- 2016 final judge: Evie Shockley
- Do not put your name on your manuscript. Instead, make two title pages -- one with the manuscript title, your name, address, email address, and phone number; and a second title page with only the manuscript title.
- Hardcopy submissions, if you must, please enclose a check for the $25 reading fee payable to: Anhinga Press, Anhinga Prize for Poetry, PO Box 3665, Tallahassee, FL 32315. Manuscripts will not be returned. (Please do not use a form of mail delivery which requires a signature.)
- Finalists and winner are announced in the fall
- Past judges include Robert Dana, Allison Joseph, Diane Wakoski, Naomi Shihab Nye, and Brian Turner.
- Past winners of the Prize include:Elizabeth A.I. Powell, Robin Beth Schaer, Judith Kitchen, Janet Holmes, Frank X. Gaspar, Julia Levine, Keith Ratzlaff, Ken Hart, and Rhett IsemanTrull.
ADDITIONAL CONTEST INFORMATION
Poems previously published in journals and anthologies should be accompanied by an acknowledgments page. Authors may submit multiple manuscripts; each will require a reading fee. Previously submitted manuscripts and manuscripts under consideration by other publishers are also eligible. Please notify us as soon as possible if your manuscript is accepted by another press.
Contest results are published in Poets & Writers, The Writers' Chronicle, New Pages, and other magazines. The winning book is published about one year after its selection.